Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Greensburah, Goats, and Good Weather

Last weekend I packed up a bunch of the new clothes I bought when I was with Emily, forgot my toiletries kit, grabbed my ipod, and gassed up the car! Slade (a fellow BG student) and I hit the road headed to Greensboro for the Art of Public Memory Conference at UNCG. The trip was pretty long, down Ohio, across WV, and down half the way through NC. But whew, once we got into NC it got beautiful. It was right around sunset and everything seemed to glow. North Carolina is green right now! Ohio is just starting to think about changing back! I love North Carolina. Simple as that. Just love love love it.  After I dropped Slade off at some friends' house I got in touch with the glorious Caity as fast as I could. We - of course - went to Boba House for dinner. And I - of course - had the mixed bowl with spring rolls. Oh my goodness it was good to be back in Greensboro. I love that city.

After a nice long conversation with the beautiful Caity on the front porch, I made my way to the hotel. Or at least where I thought the hotel was... I went to three hotels before I found the one that I actually had a reservation for.  We had a big suite so that my parents, me, and Chase would all have our own places to sleep. I got the whole place to myself for one night. And CRASH... I was out.

Friday morning began amazingly. My wonderful friend Adam made me the best breakfast I have had... in years... not to mention is living in the most beautiful bungalow in downtown GSO. Very Jealous. The meal began with french press coffee with lots of cream. Always always good. Then he grilled and baked french toast -- it was the most amazing thing ever. He also prepared three different kinds of berries, sweet cream, some mascarpone, and just a dab of syrup. Yes. It was as good as you imagine. We had yet another great conversation over a meal and I gave him extra hugs before I left. I probably won't see him again because he's going overseas to teach English! Very cool.

And then... the conference... it was... a conference... simple as that. The most enjoyable part was getting to hear the work of women I respect.  I got to have lunch with the amazing Chris W. at Fincastle's pimento cheese and fried pickles. Very Very good. Oh and SWEEEEEET tea.  Soon there after I saw more professors and enjoyed the amazing weather in the court yards outside the theatre and music buildings. Then my mom and dad arrived, and closely there after Chaser did too.  So very very happy. We chatted before my session and I was nervous before presenting. The paper went well. People gave good feed back and it was great to have my parents and Chase hear my work.

After the conference I changed out of the beautiful but uncomfortable shoes I was wearing. Chase really wanted steak so we got on Yelp and picked a place to eat. Chase picked Flemmings which is a steakhouse in Friendly Center. Oh my goodness it was amazing. I had some chipotle macaroni and cheese and about a billion other calories. It was amazing. I love going out with my parents and Chase- double dates! I really can't think of anything that makes me happier.

That night I crashed first, and woke up first. Saturday was purposefully a lazy day. We all sat around and watched cable, drank coffee, and reluctantly changed out of our pj's. Of course we shopped some... the poor boys were great sports. And then....

I got to hear Suzan-Lori Parks speak. She's amazing. She is spunky and fun and yet has a lot of wisdom to share. It was nice to get a boost of tips before really sitting down to work on my thesis. I am actually getting excited to spend time writing.

When the session was over I went back to the hotel where everyone else was and crashed again. Staying up super late to finish my paper was not a good idea. The rest of the evening was consumed by noshing and watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding.  My parents and Chase tell me that I fell asleep and Chase practically threw me over his shoulder to take me to my bed. I don't remember that.

Of course I hated heading home and leaving everyone in the South.

But at least I brought good weather back with me to Ohio. When we got here it was around 70 degrees and there was a light breeze. Great great great. Monday went by - although I was crazy sleepy - and Tuesday did too. Most of the time I spent writing my draft for my theatre history class. I made my way home Tuesday and got some great news. Chase bought me a painting of a goat. Yes, I know that sounds sooo crazy, but I really love it. We saw it over spring break at the Farm Basket in Lynchburg. I dont have a photo, but once I do I will share it with the blogosphere! Love love love it. What means the most is that Chase surprised me with this great gift. I love love love it.

Okay. Tonight is design costumes, clean my apartment, and eat cookies night. The weekend begins at 5:30 on Wednesdays. Especially since I'll spend the entire weekend house managing. Lots of time in University Hall... now thats what I call a great weekend!


Visit our wedding website www.mywedding.com/mccool2011

No comments:

Post a Comment