Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hello From Falcon Country!




I am coming to you from my new apartment!
(see Photos here)
The internet is finally up and running and life is good. 
So let me get you up to date!

We arrived in Toledo late Monday night. The hotel we stayed at originally looked shady- but it actually was pretty good. We had dinner at Texas Stake House (yes the sweet tea was different than home) and we all passed out but only after watching the History Channel's Pawn Stars! We really like those funky history shows.

Tuesday morning we woke up and got the U Haul. We told the lady where we were headed to and she asked us where we wanted to drop it off... and of course we said as close as possible.  So she assigned us a place.  And off we went to the store. Let me just say, the site to store thing that Wal-Mart does is super duper wonderful. And this was the NICEST Wal-Mart I had ever been to. It was so stinking fancy and clean and bright and there were no crying kids. Then we went to Sam's get a mattress and we headed to BG. Three cars trying to stay together when only one person knows where youre going is difficult!

As we drove into town we passed the college. It kind of reminded me of NC State as you go down Hillsborough. And with in just a few blocks we pulled up to my NEW APARTMENT! yay! Couple of papers signed and the keys were handed over. Its a great apartment. You walk into a largeish room that is the living room and the kitchen then once you turn to your left there is my bedroom and the office room and the bathroom. All are great sized room and there is so much storage space. The Best part.... is.... my closet. Whew.  I really love it. I

Mom and Dad were AMAZINGLY helpful. They helped me unpack and build things. They cleaned, they decorated. Dad hung curtains as mom (ohhh so stinking perfectly) organized the kitchen. Its like being back in Jacksonville. She helped me do the decor and the apartment looks pretty good. The carpet is emerald green which was a hurdle to overcome, but with the help of Mom, Pier One and Target success was mine!

In general it took us two days to get all unpacked and set up. One day for lunch we went to a great restaurant named Call of the Canyon Cafe. Amazing sandwiches and even more amazing pie. I had the peanut butter pie. Holy cow. I have a feeling I have to limit myself to one piece a month. Or else I am going to gain about 30,000 pounds.

Mom and Dad seem really happy with BG and BGSU. Mom kept saying Ohio smelled good! Dad was quiet and I think a little sad. Sweet Daddy. We worked ourselves to the bone. So tired very very tired.  We spent some time just hanging out around the apartment and the hotel and of course watching Real Housewives of New Jersey!

After a breakfast at Bob Evans (love the oatmeal and the banana bread!) Mom and Dad headed out. I was super duper sad, but we all handled it pretty well. Kinda just faced the facts. I came home and crashed-- until about 6pm! Hahah. I finally got to meet face to face some of the other GA's. They were super lovely!

The last couple of days have been spent doing some shopping and hanging out with Ashley- She's super great and I am really looking forward to being in classes with her. Plus her mom is a southerner and Ashley isn't too weirded out by my southern habits!  We have been shopping and hanging out and last night we ate Brie and bread and pepper jelly and cream cheese and s'mores! Lots of calories to celebrate the end of the summer!

Today I tried a new church that I can see from my house! It is Turning Pointe United Methodist Church. It is small but so very welcoming. I really liked the people. Several of the ladies were super sweet and personable and the pastor came and introduced himself to me! Really made me feel at home. I'm going to   try their Bible Studies and things like that. But I think its a great place to be around non-college students! I feel like it is important to have community and wise people as a means of accountability.

Tonight Ashley and I are are going to hang out, watch Next Design Star and Mad Men and have dinner. At 9:00am tomorrow morning the school year begins. I feel really ready. I may be the youngest new grad student and frankly I only see it as an asset! I have plenty of binders and graph paper (for my OCD and notes) and I am in the process of finding the cheapest places to buy books [factoring in shipping from online/buying used from the bookstore/buying used from the alternative bookstores] but all of it is just part of the fun.

I'm a happy girl. A blessed girl.
Oh... and I GET TO SEE CHASER IN A WEEK!

1 comment:

  1. Lauren,
    I love reading your blog. I am tired after making this whirl-wind trip to BG. Can't wait for our next adventure. Please be careful as there are Yankee in them thar hills. JY

    ReplyDelete