Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Things I Learned in Grad School...


That have NOTHING to do with Theatre!

(too important of a lesson to be numbered)
I have been in class for about a week now and I  am actually starting to get into the swing of things. I know who the department allies are and I know that the coffee they sell in the union is cheaper and way faster than the Starbucks- 20 yards away- and doesn't taste that bad... So where we go...

  1. The dishwasher escapades... When I moved in to this apartment- it was not working at all. Super duper not working- it sounded like it was working- but nothing came out clean. So I spoke to the right people and a week later- BHAM new dishwasher. Loaded it full of dishes ran it and then um... it didn't clean them. I'll end this story very quickly- add soap. Duh.
  2. Warm shoes are really important. As are coats. Both of which I bought this week.

  3. That sometimes women can just be horribly mean. Like middle school. Passive aggressiveness stings.

  4. Bill paying is just annoying. Yes, yes, the money spent part is annoying, but what I mean is the how you never get paid when its time to pay them and then they all show up at different times and have different means of payment and who actually has stamps. Blech.

  5. I cannot go to bed before 11pm.

  6. I need to thank God for things before I even see what he's got planned. Or else I'm not going to make it through this.

  7. Video Chatting is great. But its not as good as actually getting to sit next to someone.

  8. Wii Fits work better taken out of the box.

  9. College is a really good weightloss program. You remember all of that complaining I did about how Chase was loosing weight so much faster than I was? Well shoot, I just needed to start reading every play ever written and walking up to my fourth floor office with 50 pounds of books is helping me catch up to him!

  10. That being said- I like Tim Hortons' doughnuts, Ruben sandwiches from Call of the Canyon, pasta with mozerella and balsamic vinegar, BLIZZARDS, and Sonic-- in general.

  11. Plane tickets are so stinking expensive.

  12. You are never too young to start anti-aging treatments.
  13. Honey mustard is good on practically everything.
  14. I really miss my Mom and Dad.
And... Quincy is awesome [FYI He's in the PhD program and told me that he reads my blog- makes him awesome aside from the fact that he and many others of the department have been so stinking welcoming.]

So thats just the beginning. I'm pretty homesick- not actually for Jacksonville, but for my family and normalcy. These things seem really silly and aren't actually things I didn't know before arriving in BG. But they are slowly bubbling to the surface again. Anyone else having to re-learn things?  Anyone else feeling a little dumb because you are having to be reminded of things you've already lived through and mastered... like dishwashers and bill paying... and being away from your mom and dad?

3 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog! The ones I especially agree w/ are #3,6,7,14
    xxxxxxx000000000

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job today, despite what you may think.--Q

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pay all of my bills online! Would you be able to do that? It makes paying them SO MUCH easier, and I can pay them all at the same time, cuz I don't have to leave the couch :)

    ReplyDelete