Thursday, August 26, 2010

Now don't get me Wrong...

...as you saw two posts ago I am very glad to be here in Bowling Green. I really like the town and the school. But whew the school part is difficult!

I never thought graduate school would be easy. I say that first. I never thought that It would be a breeze, I never thought I would be a professional at this, and I never thought that I would just swoop in and impress everyone.

AND (not but...)

This is intense. C.W. always said I wouldn't have time to hate the cold weather because I would be so busy. That it wouldn't matter that there is "nothing to do" in BG because I would be living with my nose in a book. I kinda thought she was teasing.... Nope. I have been at school since 9:00 this morning and got home right at 6 pm. Thats like a real job or something.

So much of what we do is reading. Lots and Lots of reading. I am discovering some habits I have that I need to correct to be successful...
  1. I am an excessive note taker. I over underline and excessively highlight. That kinda defeats the purpose and not to mention... TAKES FOREVER. I have developed a new method...  I'll update you in a week or two to see if it works.
  2. I have to print everything. I cannnnnnnot read a digital article. Cannot do it. For the Life of me. Or the life of the trees. I am guessing that I will go through 4 reams of paper and maybe 23 black ink cartridges- give or take five.
  3. My original habit of going to bed at ten pm that I developed this summer... uh yeah. Not going to work in graduate school. Not going to work at all. At that time of night either
    1. My TV shows are on
    2. I have about 14 more articles to read
    3. I have consumed too much coffee to be able to even remotely think about sleeping.
  4. I have no shoes that are practical for not living in warm weather. Maybe none is an exaggeration-- maybe I have one or two... I really want these...Aren't they cute?
  5. I thought that I worked best while listening to music. WRONG. I have to not listen to music and actually focus on what I am reading. Which also means I cannot watch Bridezilla while working. This might be the worst part about graduate school...
Well I survived the first week- I have all day off tomorrow. I am going to read and do dishes... my dishwasher isn't currently working. And then read some more. And write a paper. Haha. But I really like my fellow MA's and lots of the PhD students are amazingly awesome. And the faculty has been super gracious and it is cool how successful they are in their respective areas of expertise.

Oh and Chase comes to visit in 20 days! Wonderful! He's a great one!

1 comment:

  1. Those shoes? I had a navy pair in college! LOL! Love ya, Lauren! :)

    ReplyDelete